Student Code of Conduct
WHAT IS THE CODE OF STUDENT CONDUCT?
The Code is an official policy of the Laurel Board of Education. It is based on the premise that the primary goals in discipline are improving behavior and protecting the welfare of all students. The Code applies to all students.
Students, parents and staff need to become familiar with the entire contents of this document which describe:
- The rights and responsibilities of students.
- The attendance policy and regulations.
- Conduct that disrupts a positive environment.
- Procedures for disciplinary action.
WHEN IS THE CODE IN FORCE?
The Code is in force:
At all activities where school administrators have jurisdiction over students.
- On School property and on the school bus at all times.
- At all activities where school administrators have jurisdiction over students.
- Out-of-school if the student’s conduct presents a threat to health, safety or welfare of other students and staff.
The building principal is authorized to take administrative action when a student’s misconduct is harmful to other students or to orderly education. Furthermore, the obligations of the Principal may be discretionary at times, based on confidential or additional information.